Contempt & Enforcement Attorney in Delaware

Serving the greater Columbus, Franklin county and Central Ohio areas.

Schedule a consultation

Delaware Contempt & Enforcement Attorneys

Contempt & Enforcement specialists with over 59 years of experience.

When working through your divorce with an Ohio family law attorney, chances are your divorce agreement made allowances for child support, spousal support or both. In the event your ex-spouse fails to make these payments as ordered by the court, it is possible to file to have them held in contempt of court in order to enforce the standing order.

What are contempt charges?

Contempt is considered anything that ignores an order that is issued from court. In the case of family law, it is typically a violation of a support order. In these cases, the spouse who should be receiving support payments would contact their Delaware OH family law attorney and request them to petition the court to find the spouse who would be paying support in contempt.

What happens with contempt charges?

If you are successful in requesting the court to find a non-paying ex-spouse in contempt of court, the most common outcome is that support payments will resume. The court may impose additional fines and should the spouse continue to violate the order by not paying, they could face time in prison for that violation.

Client Reviews

Had free consultation. Advice given was taken, and resulted in change of mind in the other/opposing party. We therefore did not need to retain. Should opposing party resume original opinion, we will retain.


I was in a terrible custody dispute with my ex. I was very upset and afraid of my ex. Rodd listened to everything I said and remembered everything I said. He was aggressive in court and used the information I gave him very well. We won the case and my ex has backed off.


I wanted an easy divorce from my wife. She wanted a fight. Rodd and I discussed fair terms for a dissolution. Because he was pro active and stayed on top of the case, my wife and I finally reached an agreement and had a dissolution. I highly recommend Rodd.


I hired Linda Lawrence because I have a business and I wanted to protect it in my divorce. Linda is top notch and knows about business finance and assets. I was able to keep my business and not have to pay my wife anything from it. Hire her.


I hired Linda Lawrence because I needed an aggressive attorney. Linda was able to stand up against the other attorney and was very aggressive in court. It was an expensive divorce case, but that was because the other attorney was very aggressive and Linda was very thorough. I had great results in my case and highly recommend Linda.


What happens if my ex-spouse still cannot pay?

Depending on the specific circumstances regarding non-payment the court may order a temporary reduction in payments. If the claim of inability is unsustainable it may be possible to request the court order payment directly through a payroll deduction.

Contact us

What options do I have besides contempt charges?

At the Lawrence Law Office, we sometimes find it is beneficial to work on a mutually agreeable resolution to disputes that arise regarding support payments. While this is not always possible, in most cases it can prevent additional bad feelings between the partners and is oftentimes less time consuming and less costly than contempt of court.

If you are a custodial spouse, child support may be the only way you can financially maintain your household. As an Ohio family law firm, we understand there are often circumstances that legitimately occur that prevent a non-custodial spouse from making court-ordered payments. However, in the event these payments are simply not being made as agreed, we are here to help you. At the Lawrence Law Office we primarily focus on family law and while we encourage you to work with your ex-spouse to reach a mutual resolution, if it is not possible, we will not hesitate to go to court. If you are facing challenges due to non-support we can help you take the steps to either collect payments as quickly as possible or undertake the filing of contempt charges to force compliance.

Our Practice Areas

Family Law

Attorneys for Divorce, Child Custody & More At the Lawrence Law Office, we are committed to helping families in conflict find creative solutions that focus on addressing their goals and...


Columbus & Delaware, OH Divorce Lawyers In Ohio, there is more than one way to separate from your partner and dissolve your marriage. A divorce is typically a contested proceeding, with each side...

Contempt and
Enforcement and
Post divorce

When working through your divorce with an Ohio family law attorney, chances are your divorce agreement made allowances for child support. spousal support or

Business owner

Dividing the marital assets between divorcing people can be one of the most contentious issues during the entire divorce process. Ohio law allows the couple to work together with...

Child Custody

Dividing the marital assets between divorcing people can be one of the most contentious issues during the entire divorce process. Ohio law allows the couple to work together with...

High Asset
Divorce Cases

Helping With Child Custody, Visitation & Support Updates Or Modifications Sometimes circumstances substantially change after a divorce and require parents to revisit an existing...


Lawrence Recent Blog Posts

March 16, 2021 in divorce

How Do I Hire an Ohio Attorney to Handle My Divorce?

Ohio has thousands of lawyers. How do you find the right one to handle your divorce? At Lawrence Law Office, our divorce attorneys have helped…
Read More
March 16, 2021 in divorce

Do I Need to Live in the Same County as My Divorce Lawyer in Ohio?

No. There is no requirement that you live in the same county as your attorney. In fact, divorce lawyers are licensed to practice in any…
Read More
March 16, 2021 in Family Law

Do I Need a Family Lawyer in Ohio?

Disputes involving family members are inherently difficult. Few people are prepared to tackle a family law issue on their own, so hiring a family lawyer…
Read More
March 16, 2021 in child custody

Do I Need a Child Custody Lawyer in Ohio?

Child custody disputes arise in two situations—a couple with children is divorcing or two people who have never married have conceived a child. In either…
Read More